Artwork from the 2012 Mayor’s Art Show...left to right: • The Sadness of Abraham Lincoln (Painting-Acrylic) by Janice LaVerne Baker • Watch Your Step (Photograph – 2012 Board President Award) by Herman Krieger • Slipped Jar with Dots (Pottery – 2012 Juror’s Choice Award) by Dan Schmitt
Call to Artists
Celebrating Lane County Artists
You are invited to submit a single work of recent art in any medium to be considered for this popular and prestigious event. The Mayor’s Art Show is open during the Eugene Celebration to showcase the artistic excellence and diversity of work by visual artists, living in Lane County and 18 years and older.
Digital entries are required for this Call to Artist.You will NOT deliver your artwork to the Jacobs Gallery for the jury process. Only if you are accepted, will you deliver your actual artwork. See below about notification of selected artists. Entries can be made by submitting ONE digital image (two views if 3-D, or one detail if you feel it’s necessary), along with an entry form and fee. Click here www.jacobsgallery.org/MAS/submit-artwork to submit your entry, or print a form and mail or hand deliver, anytime between now and the deadline. Printed forms can also be found in the Jacobs Gallery. DOWNLOAD PDF CALL TO ARTISTS
AWARDS CEREMONY AND OPENING RECEPTION
The Mayor’s Art Show opens in the Jacobs Gallery Thursday, August 22, with a public Awards Ceremony and Opening Reception starting at 5:30 p.m. in the main lobby of the Hult Center for the Performing Arts. Please join us in celebrating the visual arts and paying tribute to all artists at this special event.
TIME LINE Important Dates:
- Deadline for submitting entries: Saturday, July 20, 2013 (Hand delivery by 3pm – Online by 5 pm) Entry options: Anytime NOW through July 20, at www.jacobsgallery.org/MAS/submit-artwork, or hand delivered to the Jacobs Gallery at the Hult Center.
- Notification of selected artists, will be posted online and in the gallery on Wednesday, Aug. 7th. Please note: We will not call or email those who were not selected, so it will be important to check our website or stop by the gallery, to view the list of accepted artist.
- Delivery of SELECTED artwork, exhibit-ready: Monday, August 19, between 9 a.m. and noon. Installation will begin on this day, so you or someone on your behalf, MUST be able to deliver your art and sign the contract, in order to be included.We will send an email reminder of dates to accepted artists.
- Awards Ceremony & Opening Reception: Thursday, August 22 at 5:30 p.m. in the Hult Center lobby.
- Pick up of unsold artwork: Monday, October 7, between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Eugene Celebration: August 23, 24 and 25
ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ENTRY REQUIREMENTS WILL DISQUALIFY ENTRY
- Artist must include a $20 processing fee with their submission.
- Artist must be resident of Lane County.
- Artist must be 18 years or older.
- Only ONE work per artist may be entered. Entries need to be on CD or submitted online at www.jacobsgallery.org/MAS/submit-artwork.
- Work in any medium will be considered, with the exception of photocopies or giclée prints. For example, if the giclée print is a representation of piece of your artwork, like a painting or sculpture, that is not acceptable. But, a photographer might choose to use the giclée process to print an original image, and that would be acceptable.
- Entry must have been completed since August 2012.
- Any entry submitted must be derived from original concept and design, and not under instructional supervision.
- Your Mayor’s Art Show entry must be new work not previously exhibited in a Jacobs Gallery Exhibition.
- Entry must be exhibit-ready. All surfaces must be dry and fixed, and have an appropriate means for hanging. If your work is to be framed, please review our Framing Standards on our website. If your work is selected, and special instructions are required for display, you must submit these instructions with the work of art when delivered.
- Display instructions provided by the artist cannot be guaranteed.The Mayor’s Art Show installers will do their best to honor the artists display requests.
- Work must be able to withstand normal handling.
- If you are entering an installation work, or a work that is taller than 8 feet or a work that weighs more than 100 pounds, please indicate this on your entry form.
SALE OF YOUR ARTWORK
- You are encouraged to submit a work of art that is for sale to help support the Jacobs Gallery.
▪ A 45% commission is retained by the gallery on all sales. Please include insurance value on the entry form if your work is not for sale (NFS).This is the amount the artist would receive if a piece were for sale – 55%.
▪ Maximum insurance value is $6,500. If you want to enter a piece that has a higher value, you will need to carry the extra insurance yourself or waive the extra insurance.
▪ If you know your work sold, you DO NOT need to come in on Oct. 7 for pick up. A check will be mailed to the artist for work sold, approximately one week after the closing of the exhibit.
A panel of three jurors will independently select works for exhibition in the 2013 Mayor’s Art Show.To ensure an exciting and balanced exhibit, jurors are instructed to make selections that will showcase a sampling of some of the best recent work created by Lane County artists.The jurors reserve the right to accept or reject any entry. The 2013 Juror’s are, Clint Brown from Corvallis, and Betsy Wolfston and Roger Saydack from Eugene.